Syracuse University


College Advising Statements


The School of Architecture requires all students to be advised by their assigned advisor before they can register for classes.  It is your responsibility to initiate your advising session within the three weeks prior to your assigned registration appointment. Plan to discuss your course selections with your advisor in the context of your overall degree plans. In preparation of your appointment, confirm your progress towards your degree through MySlice.  Go to My Academics and then click on View My Advising Report. The report is an up-to-date assessment of how your credits have been used to satisfy your degree program requirements.

After you have been advised, you will gain access to the registration system in MySlice, but not until your assigned registration appointment. To view the date of your assigned registration appointment use the View My Enrollment Dates link in MySlice. If you attempt to register prior to your assigned appointment, you will receive an error message and will not be allowed to enroll in classes until that time.  Visit the Student Services office in 201 Slocum Hall with any advising and registration concerns.

(return to top)

Arts and Sciences

The College of Arts and Sciences REQUIRES all students to be advised by their faculty advisor(s) before they can register for classes. It is each student's responsibility to contact his/her faculty advisor to set up an advising appointment. Please be aware that the advising period is a busy time for all advisors so advance planning will prevent delays in the removal of your advising hold (e.g. your advisor may not be available certain days prior to your appointment time).

Your registration HOLD can take up to 48 hours to be removed, so please do not wait until the day before, or the day of, your appointment to meet with your advisor.

Students with double majors are required to see both of their departments’ faculty advisors for advising. Dually enrolled students in Public Communications are required to seek advising from their Arts and Sciences faculty advisor and their Newhouse faculty advisor. Dually enrolled students in the School of Education are required to seek advising from their Arts and Sciences faculty advisor and their Education advisor. Students in the Combined Program with Engineering and Computer Science are required to seek advising from both colleges' faculty advisors.

(return to top)


The School of Education requires all undergraduates to meet with their faculty advisors before registering. Undergraduate registration begins November 13, 2014. You should plan on meeting with your advisor in the three weeks preceding registration. Remember that it is your responsibility to initiate your advising meeting. After meeting with your advisor, you must take your signed Advising Form to your program area office so your advising hold can be removed. A designated staff member will remove the hold, allowing you to register according to your assigned time. This includes the Dual EDU/FALK, Dual A&S/EDU and Dual VPA/Art Education students, all of whom will have an Education advising hold placed along with their FALK, A&S and VPA advising hold. Please be advised that it may take up to one full business day to remove the hold, and you will NOT be able to register if the advising hold (and/or any other holds you may have) is not removed. If you are unable to meet with your advisor, please contact AMIE REDMOND, ASSISTANT DEAN FOR ACADEMIC AND STUDENT SERVICES, in 111 Waverly Avenue, Suite 230, (315) 443-2506.

(return to top)

Engineering and Computer Science

The College of Engineering and Computer Science requires all undergraduates to meet with their faculty or professional advisor before registering for classes. Once you have met with your advisor and obtained her/his signature on the ECS Undergraduate Advising Form, you should submit the form to the Student Records Office in 130 Link. An ECS Student Records staff member will release your hold no later than the end of the following business day. If you need assistance in contacting your faculty advisor, please consult the ECS Faculty Advisors list posted outside 130 Link Hall, check MySlice under VIEW MY ADVISOR, or contact the Student Records Office at (315) 443-5191.

(return to top)

Sport and Human Dynamics

The David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics requires all undergraduates to meet with their advisors before they register to insure that they are choosing courses that lead towards the completion of their degree. It is each student's responsibility to initiate the advising appointment and to be prepared with course selections for their advising session.  All Falk College students have an advising report online in MySlice under “My Academics”.  This report is an advising tool to be used in collaboration with your academic advisor.  You should review this report before your advising session to determine which courses have been used to satisfy your liberal arts core requirements and your major program degree requirements and to develop a plan for future courses to discuss with your academic advisor.

All undergraduate students have registration advising holds that will be released based on a productive advising session, allowing you to register.  After the registration advising session your academic advisor will electronically submit an Advising Form with recommended courses to Student Services and the hold will be released (a minimum of 24 hours is required for processing).  A copy of the Advising Form will also be given to you and placed in your file.

The name and contact information for your advisor can be found in My Slice under VIEW MY ADVISOR. If you have further questions, please call (315) 443-3144 or (315) 443-2077

(return to top)

Information Studies

In the School of Information Studies each freshman and sophomore, and each student who has been in the iSchool for less than one year, will have an advising hold placed on their registration. The iSchool Undergraduate Student Services Office, 114 Hinds Hall, will release the hold once the student has obtained an authorized advisor signature on an Advising Form. To obtain an advising signature, students are required to attend the scheduled group advising session on; Friday, October 31st from 11:00AM-3:00PM, in 121 Hinds Hall. This is an open session - you stop in when it fits into your schedule. If you cannot attend an advising session, please consult the iSchool Undergraduate Student Services Office, 114 Hinds Hall, (315) 443-6137. For further assistance, contact Tess Schaufler ( Academic Advisor in 114 Hinds Hall.

(return to top)


The Martin J. Whitman School of Management requires four groups of students to be advised before registering: freshmen (even those with sophomore standing); new external transfer students; new intra-university transfer students; and students on academic probation. Freshmen, external and intra-university transfers should meet with their Academic Advisor (assigned by House) – the Undergraduate Office will have designed drop-in hours for this group of students.   Students on probation should schedule an appointment with their Probation Advisor using WhitLink. The Undergraduate Office will be removing advising holds for these students in batches at the end of the working day on which they are advised. Undergraduates not in these four groups should still plan to meet with an advisor to ensure they are fulfilling requirements.

(return to top)

Public Communications

The S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications requires first-year students, who are singly enrolled in Newhouse or dually enrolled with Information Studies, to meet with their Newhouse faculty advisors and to bring their signed Advising Forms to the Newhouse Undergraduate Advising & Records Office (316 N3) to obtain clearance before registering. Sophomores may either meet with their faculty advisors or attend a seminar, “Navigating Your Newhouse Degree”, presented by Undergraduate Advising & Records, to have their advising holds removed. Students in all years who are on probation are also required to meet with their faculty advisors before registering. The Undergraduate Advising & Records Office will need 24 hours (excluding weekends) to remove the advising hold so students must turn in their signed Advising Forms at least 24 hours before their initial registration access time. Once students have obtained their advisor's signature, they do not need to obtain a second signature to adjust schedules, but if they change course selections substantially or exhaust alternatives, it is important to review revised plans with their advisor. Singly enrolled and PC/IS dual Newhouse juniors and seniors are encouraged to see their advisors and are responsible for knowing degree requirements, but may register without turning in a signed Advising Form. Dually enrolled Newhouse students must follow the advising requirements of their home college. If Newhouse is not the home college, students should still consult with their Newhouse advisor on questions which affect their Newhouse major. If students have not been able to see their faculty advisor, they should see their department chairperson or Assistant Dean Karen McGee or Theresa Fuller, Manager of Undergraduate Advising & Records. If students have an incomplete schedule and need assistance, they should see Dean McGee in 316 Newhouse 3 before leaving campus for the semester.

(return to top)

Visual and Performing Arts

The College of Visual and Performing Arts requires all undergraduates in the School of Art & Design, the Department of Transmedia, the Setnor School of Music, the Department of Drama and all freshmen and sophomores in the Department of Communication and Rhetorical Studies to meet with their faculty advisors before registering. Advising takes place during the three-week period before early registration begins and it is the student's responsibility to initiate the advising appointment. After meeting with your advisor, bring your signed Advising Form to your area department administrative assistant to have the advising hold released. Holds are generally released by the end of the day that the form is submitted, but the process may take up to 24 hours. Advising appointments should be planned accordingly. Juniors and seniors in the Department of Communication and Rhetorical Studies do not have advising holds but are strongly encouraged to meet with their faculty advisors to ensure that course requirements are being fulfilled. If you need assistance in contacting your faculty advisor, see the department assistant in your area. Other questions may be directed to the VPA Office of Student Affairs at (315) 443-2517.

(return to top)